For us at Winni’s environmental sustainability means returning to Nature what we have taken away from it. It is not just replacing chemical with natural raw materials but rather running manufacturing processes that reduce emissions and that are less and less dependant on depletable sources.

All our final products and their components have been conceived and developed to be as eco-friendly as possible, from packaging to content.

Sustainability also means offering more washes for the same amount of plastic used in the bottles. And that is the reason why we seek to offer a high level of concentration in our products (and so the performance/bottle ratio). When our products are used, the instructions on the back label should be followed so that you do not use too much product and waste it.

All packages of our products are made of recyclable plastics and some products also use post-consumer recycled plastics. In the field of detergents, we have been the first company in Italy to use the ‘eco-refill’ formats, that is, pouches used for filling the same bottle more than once, which helps save more than 80% of plastic. Beside their low environmental impact and at similar performance, these pouches offer consumers the advantage of saving.

The product consumers find at supermarkets is the final result of a process that starts far away from these centres, more precisely at our company headquartered in Cotignola, a small town in the Province of Ravenna. The town may be small, but the company behind the Winni’s brand boasts a level of evolution and sustainability that is envied by the largest multinationals in the industry, while keeping the distinctive integrity, transparency and passion of a typical Italian family business. Exactly 8,500 PV panels over 48,000 m², with more than 2.3 Megawatt, are fitted on top the manufacturing facilities to generate power to cover 80% of the energy needed for the manufacturing process. The remaining 20% is taken from certified renewable sources. Madel are among the first Italian companies to be granted the BeECO Absolutely Pure certification- a marking that highlights those companies that use power from renewable sources and has categorised Madel as a company sensitive to environmental problems.

Within its organisation scheme, the company also makes the bottles for the Winni’s ranges, with the aid of an in-situ partner in order to do away with handling empty bottles, which would have an environmental impact.

The facilities also feature a recovery system for the hot air caused by the manufacturing processes; instead of being released into the atmosphere, the hot air is used to heat the manufacturing workshop and the warehouses. It is like having a zero-emission, cost-free heating system!

Each product consists of purified water, ‘active’ ingredients and perfume.

Active ingredients are in charge of the ‘dirty job’ and the reason why our products are such efficient cleaners. We have chosen to use only ingredients of plant origin such as coconut, sugar, chicory, or wheat; we use farm waste only for non-food ends.  Moreover, these resources are renewable and completely biodegradable*, so that we do not deplete what Nature offers us and so leave them impaired for future generations.

Adding perfumes to our products results in a very pleasant experience for consumers. We choose only perfumes with a low impact on the environment and on people’s skin. And that are at least 90% biodegradable, so that once perfumes are released into the environment they are broken down by natural microorganisms and become harmless. But what is much more important is that we protect the health of consumers who choose us, so we ensure that our products are scented but at the same time allergen-free! (detectable threshold in final product is < 0.01 % in accordance with Regulation (EC) No. 1223/2009).

*According to Regulation CEE 648/04 “Ultimate aerobic biodegradation” means the level of biodegradation achieved when the surfactant is totally used by micro-organisms in the presence of oxygen resulting in its breakdown to carbon dioxide, water and mineral salts of any other elements present (mineralisation) [Reg. CEE 648/04 – Art. 2, 8]. Surfactants in detergents shall be considered as biodegradable if the level of biodegradability (mineralisation) measured… is at least 60 % within twenty-eight days (Reg. CEE 648/04 – Annex III).

After being used, all our products are dispersed into water; therefore, we are concerned about their post-consumer effect.  Tests are conducted to check that our products are not toxic for algae, fish and aquatic life and that they biodegrade as quickly as possible. These tests are not standard or required by law but quite dear practices that we ourselves have imposed to be certain that the products we offer have a low environmental impact.

Find out more about our sustainability principles

Log in with your credentials

Forgot your details?